Hey, baby, come up and see my tiger bedspread

Our ongoing exploration of the bizarre furnishings of Beijing apartments has entered what appears to be the “oriental love nest” phase. Surely we must be getting close to the end. Today my eye-sockets were cauterized by this:

As you’d expect along with a tiger bedspread, this apartment also came with a toddler-friendly free-standing glass cabinet full of top-notch imported liquor:

I’m not sure if the liquor was included in the rent. Maybe they would have checked it off when moved out, like a mini-bar. Still, you have to admire the innovative rethink of the old, American “fresh-baked cookies” gambit. Combine a tiger bedspread, glass master-bathroom and liquor supply and you’re damn close to the apartment of China Bounder’s dreams (apropos of this week’s Sinica podcast on the evolution of the China blogging scene). Actually, it was in many ways a very nice apartment. But there’s always that question of the accessories.

Previously on The Great Apartment Hunt:

FacebookTwitterSina WeiboInstapaperRead It LaterLinkedInDiggStumbleUponShare
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Hey, baby, come up and see my tiger bedspread

1. Zaheer says:

Brilliant. Love the plastic flowers next at the bed-side. Nice touch. Not to mention the glass wall for the toilet, 2 feet away. I say, just take it dude!

2. Crystal says:

Tiger on the bed… hmmm…
    It indeed arises very specific associations.

3. Hose-B says:

That’s just like the one you had in college!

4. Will says:

@Hose-B: I had a python living under the bed, as you’ll recall. A tiger bedspread was totally redundant.

Note to other readers: This is not some bizarre sex metaphor. When Hose-B and I were roommates in the early 90s I actually owned a python that lived in a cage so big I had to sleep on top of it.

5. shenmeniao says:

no mention of the jacuzzi like tub in the fully exposed bathroom?

i feel like this place is missing purple velvet, candles, and kenny G

6. Shaan says:

I’ll buy the bathtub off ya, that thing actually looks pretty sweet.

7. Will says:

@shenmeniao: It almost certainly has Kenny G.

8. Michael D. Wallace says:

Would be nice to know approximately the cost of these 5 star apartments and what floor they are on. The tub does look nice.

9. Sue Anne says:

That is quite a stunning bed spread, I’ve only managed to come across a tiger stripd sofa couch. That was a winner in itself.

Things have gotten a bit better in Shanghai, they realized renting to foreigners require different tastes. My landlord was even attentive to my preferences, asking if I prefer white flourescent light vs warm “yellow” lights. I indicated the latter, and he and his family all nodded in unison, declaring their in-depth knowledge of foreigners’ tastes.